Neither hundreds nor thousands, millions of cats are kept as a domestic animal since decades. There is no need to explain the relationship between humans and cats. Cats and Humas either possess a mutualistic or commensal relation in between them. Mutualistic means both of the species are benefitted from each other’s activity and commensal means a relationship in which one is benefitted from other partner without harming the another one. The scientific name for cats is Felis catus or Felis silvestris catus which is a furry mammal. Their lifespan is supposed to be 12 to 15 years. Carnivorous animals are those who can eat flesh hence cat is a carnivorous mammal.
Anatomy or Body structure of Cats:
- Cats have 30 teeth including 12 incisors, 4 canines, 10 premolars and 4 molars whereas dogs have 42, yet, the teeth that cats are having is specialized for killing their prey which they will be feeding. The Oral structure of cats is blessed for different mechanisms such as communication, purring, hissing, chirping, growling and grunting.
- They are having 32 muscles in each of their ears which further allows them to listen and detect the origin of sound calculating its distance.
- Cats have an amazing ability to identify food, prey and other factors helpful for them. The colour of their nose is purely depending on their genotype.
- The height of a cat can vary on as per their breed or gender, usually is around 12 inches or 30.5 centimetres.
- Cats are even better in keeping themselves cooler than dogs due to their smaller size and few sweat glands i.e., eccrine sweat glands only in their foot pads and snout. They possess apocrine glands at each hair follicle. Moreover, their fur helps them in being cool.
- The digestive system of cats includes Mouth, teeth, Salivary glands, Esophagus, Stomach, Intestine, Pancreas, Gallbladder and Liver. They do not take a diet higher in Carbohydrates; saliva does not contain the enzyme named amylase.
Take care of your cat at home:
- Provide them with a Litter box to keep your home clean and fine. Make sure to keep that box clean, cats may avoid the ones that are untidy. Place them in a clean and silent place.
- Always opt a good and healthy food for your cat. Treat them as a family member, they are not just a pet anymore whom you can provide anything to feed. Take help from veteran. Go for the foods that are rich in animal meat for the goodness of cat. Don’t forget to choose foods that are highly engaged with important amino acids like taurine and arginine as they cannot synthesise it on own. There is no need to overfeed your cat as it may cause obesity and other health issues.
- Using a fine comb to untangle the hairs of cat is a good option to keep it healthy and disease free. Look out for its conditioning while combing, if something suspicious, consult a veteran. Fleas and ear mites are general among cats, therefore, needed a treatment.
- Bad breath, Loose teeth, Discoloured or tartar covered teeth, pain in the mouth, bleeding and loss of appetite are some of the major concerns a cat is looking for brushing.
- Provide them with a pole for scratching for the sake of your furniture.
9 Facts about Cats:
- They can travel to 30 kilometres per hour efficiently (depending on breed)
- The largest Cat breed is Maine Coon and is found in Australia. They can weigh up to 12kgs
- Most of the cats are left-pawed
- They own a reflective layer in their eyes, called Tapetum lucidum which allows them to see up to 6 times better than a human eye in lowest light.
- Group of cats is known as Clowder
- They have an interesting factor of making more than 90 noises
- A cat can jump over 5 times than its own height
- One who loves cat is called an Ailurophilia
- They really have about 130,000 of hairs distributed in per square inch